I've been writing a lot of documentation lately for those who provide community support with Stack Exchange. A common theme for supporting new users is that they don't post enough information to effectively troubleshoot a problem.
I'd like to propose a "troubleshooting information" page in the "Help" menu, which I've seen in a number of applications, including Firefox. This should be a one-stop shop where you can view a number of settings relevant to your CiviCRM environment. It should be easily copy/paste-able into Stack Exchange directly - I could also see a "post to Pastebin" button being helpful, but adds unneeded complexity to a simple project.
The page should contain, to start, the following information:
- CiviCRM version number
- CMS software and version number
- MySQL and PHP version numbers
- A list of installed extensions
- A list of outstanding statuses (CiviCRM 4.7+, https://issues.civicrm.org/jira/browse/CRM-13823) (This also provides a mechanism for extensions to put relevant info here)
- OS version number
- Maybe some other info provided by phpinfo(), if folks think there are other relevant pieces of information.
- Maybe the age of templates_c data.
- Maybe a link to the current log in ConfigAndLog.
There's also a question of putting information in that's relevant to troubleshooting but might be leaking sensitive info - for instance, the directory/URL paths, payment processor type(s), etc. I think it might be helpful to break this into a separate section on the same page, to make it easy to copy/paste only the relevant sections.
I can't commit to bottom-lining this until I finish the existing Civi core items on my plate - but if someone starts this, I can definitely flesh it out.