1. Add the following access key definitions (trigger is Ctrl + Shift + specified letter for all cases):
1.1 "E" - Edit Contact from Contact Summary (civicrm/contact/view).
(I don't think there are any other places where we only display a single item with an Edit button - so I don't think there's other use cases for "E" ??)
1.2 "S" - Save record currently being created / edited. This can be implemented for all forms. If there's not a way to do it globally, then focus on most commonly used forms:
- Add / edit contact
- Add / edit contribution
1.3 Access keys for each Tab from contact/view:
"C" - Contributions
"M" - Memberships
"E" - Events
"A" - Activities
"R" - Relationships
"G" - Groups
"N" - Notes
"T" - Tags
1.4 "N" - triggers "New xxx" action from search screens, civicrm home and all selectors:
- From civicrm/dashboard and civicrm/contact/search - N -> New Individual
- From each contact/view tab (e.g. Contributions) - N -> New Contribution, Membership, Event Registration...
- From admin selectors (e.g. Manage Events, Manage Contribution Pages, etc.) - N -> New Event ....
2. Implement an additional "footer" template which discretely displays the available access keys for the current screen.
Attachment is a sample showing how to do this from Xavier Dutoit...
As an example, I've added a 'e' access key in the contact view. On firefox 2, <ctrl>+<shift>+e will edit the view directly.
You get quickly addicted to these shortcuts on webapps.