So it all happened when the end user copied one link on the page to another place on the page.
Then for every test email and email after that the second link did not work.
It would show up like this
Notice the space in the http.
We fixed it, removed it, renamed it, edited the html, and still 2 hours of testing came down to us just canceling and starting over.
(we sent it to a test group to see if it was just the test emails not working but even the test did not work)
Now I looked in the database and all was well.
Even the preview window looked okay when I hovered my mouse over it.
He was using Firefox on Windows XP
We just junked it and started over and all worked fine.